Living and working on Tims Ford Lake, we naturally get a lot of questions about it. Some are pretty common, while others are more abstract. Here are a few that we have had over the years along with the answers. We bet there is something on the list that you didn’t know!
1. Why is it called Tims Ford Lake?
It is named after Abner Tims, who helped construct a ford crossing the Elk River, supposedly near where the dam current sits. The ford was used until about 1885 when the Tims Ford bridge was constructed across the river.
2. How big is Tims Ford Lake?
10,700 acres of pure awesomeness!
3. Is it a man made or natural lake?
Tims Ford is man made. The Tims Ford Dam was built by the Tennessee Valley Authority from 1966-1970, and impounds the Elk River for an average of 36 megawatts of hydroelectric power.
4. How big is the Tims Ford Dam?
175 feet high and 1,580 feet across.
5. What is the deepest part of Tims Ford?
150 feet at summer pool.
6. Are there private docks on Tims Ford?
Yes, private docks are allowed with a TVA permit.
7. Does the lake freeze over in the winter?
No, thankfully our winter temperatures are no where near cold enough!
8. Are there alligators in Tims Ford?
Goodness gracious NO!
9. Can you swim in Tims Ford?
10. How many marinas are there on Tims Ford?
Four: Lakeview Marina, Tims Ford Marina, Holiday Marina, and Twin Creeks Marina.
Check out our blog “Tims Ford Lake – The Lowdown on Marinas” for more info on each one!
11. How busy is Tims Ford?
It is extremely busy on weekends in the summer, like most lakes, but weekdays are much calmer.
You can check out our blog “Tims Ford Lake – How Busy Is It?” for more on this subject.
12. How is the fishing on Tims Ford?
It can be a tough lake to figure out, but bass, crappie, bluegill, catfish and more can all be caught.
13. Do many people ski or surf on Tims Ford?
Yes! Both are very popular activities, along with tubing and kayaking.
14. Are there any boat dealers around the lake?
For sure! The Boat Guy, Tims Ford Powersports, Broadview Marine, Tracker Boating Center, and Gilliam Marine.
15. What else is there to do around the lake?
Plenty, but just to name a few – visit the Jack Daniels Distillery, the Beechcraft Heritage Museum, Tims Ford State Park, Short Springs State Natural Area, Historic Downtown Winchester, or the Cowan Railroad Museum.
16. What is your favorite part about living at the lake?
So many things, but just being here enjoying the beauty of it everyday and the quick access to jump on our boat and head out is amazing.
17. Is Tims Ford the best lake in Tennessee?
We may be biased, but YES!
So there you have it, some of our most common questions and answers. We hope to see you here soon!
Thinking about moving to Tims Ford Lake?
We would love to help! We live and work on Tims Ford Lake – it’s our happy place and we would love to help you make it yours! Use the searches below to start your home search or contact us directly for a personal tour of the lake (on our boat!) or just to chat about your home buying needs. You should also check out our previous blog post, Buying a Home on Tims Ford Lake-4 Things to Consider!
Below are trending searches for real estate on Tims Ford Lake. Click the links to see available active listings.
- Search all Homes for Sale on Tims Ford Lake
- Search all Lakefront Homes for sale on Tims Ford Lake
- Search all Lakefront Lots for Sale on Tims Ford Lake
- Search all Tims Ford Lake Homes for Sale on Hopkins Point